Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Pizza is normally part of our weekly Super Fun Friday Movie Night, but I had been busy all day yesterday, and didn't have anything thawed or ready to go, and had to be quick. I decided at 4:30 that pizza was the answer. I checked my pantry, and ofcourse I had no sauce. However I did have:

1 can tomato paste

2 cans tomato sauce

half of a small onion

1 carrot

1 red bell pepper

1 T Italian Seasoning

2 t dried basil

1/2 t black pepper

1/2 t garlic powder

1/4 t celery salt

2 T olive oil

Dice the onion, red bell pepper, and (or shred) the carrot. Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the veggies until fragrant and soft. Add the seasonings and spices and cook a little longer. Put everything from the pan into a blender and add the whole can of tomato paste, and both cans of tomato sauce. Liquefy. You will have about 4 cups of sauce. I used a half a cup each on two pizzas. I divided the rest into 1 cup increments and froze each cup in a separate baggie. Now When I want to make pizza I can leave the frozen sauce on the counter for a few hours before I'm ready to make the pizza and it will be ready when I am.

The kids said it was as good as store bought. They don't know that that's NOT what I want to hear. It was fast, tasty and easy.

1 comment: